Tuesday, August 5, 2014

What a golden show by diver Tze Liang

Ooi Tze Liang celebrates with his silver medal from the men's 10m platform. - GLENN GUAN / The Star
Ooi Tze Liang celebrates with his silver medal from the men's 10m platform. - GLENN GUAN / The Star

GLASGOW: National diver Ooi Tze Liang’s golden happiness is there for all to see – he just can’t stop smiling.

The 20-year-old Penangite showed strong character and a winning attitude to become the Malaysian hero at the 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow with two brilliant performances - a gold and a silver at the Royal Commonwealth Pool.

He won the gold in the men’s individual 3m springboard on Thursday and the silver in the individual 10m platform on the final day of the competition on Saturday.

All eyes were actually on 2012 London Olympic bronze medallist Pandelela Rinong to deliver the gold but the diving queen could only manage a silver in the individual 10m platform and a bronze in the 10m synchronised platform with Nur Dhabitah Sabri.

Tze Liang wrapped up his final event in style when his sixth and final dive won him the silver with a total score of 433.70 points.

England’s 2012 London Olympic bronze medallist Tom Daley picked up the gold with 516.55 while Vincent Riendeau of Canada took the bronze with 429.25.

It was a tough field, with the seasoned Daley dominating all six rounds. Tze Liang was trailing in third position at the end of the fifth round before his final effort got him the silver – and a pat on the back from coach Huang Qiang.

“I must first thank my coaches Huang (Qiang) and Yang (Zhuliang) who have been responsible for my progress,” said Tze Liang.
He also thanked the Amateur Swimming Union of Malaysia (Asum) for funding his training and competition stints.

“I am young and I want to focus on diving … everything else (studies) is secondary. I feel that I can contribute more to the nation and my body is ready for it.

“I can do the other things in my life when I am 30 … when I’m done with diving. For now, I want to concentrate on making a name in diving,” said Tze Liang, who added that he felt sorry for team-mates Chew Yi Wei and Ahmad Amsyar Azman who failed to win any medals.

“My only setback is that I was unable to win medals in the synchronised events with Yi Wei and Ahmad Amsyar. We have great team spirit and I will work hard to get them on the podium in our next assignment,” said Tze Liang.

Asked about his broad smile during the competition, Tze Liang said it was normal.
“Smile brings you good luck ... even if I lose, I’ll still smile,” quipped Tze Liang.
Malaysia won a total of one gold, two silvers and one bronze in the diving events.



 by Eric Samuel - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment