Monday, July 14, 2014

Shooter Nur Suryani wants to keep streak going in Glasgow

Malaysian shooter Nur Suryani Mohd Taibi in action during the 2012 London Olympics. - Filepic
Malaysian shooter Nur Suryani Mohd Taibi in action during the 2012 London Olympics. - Filepic

PETALING JAYA: Rifle shooter Nur Suryani Mohd Taibi is relishing the challenge of winning a second gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow next week.

At the last Games in New Delhi in 2010, Suryani bagged the 10m air rifle pairs with Nur Ayuni Farhana Halim.

Two years later, Suryani made headlines worldwide when she competed at the London Olympics while eight months pregnant.

She gave birth to daughter Dayana Widyan after returning from London and has been juggling between motherhood and shooting since then.

Suryani is often separated from two-year-old Dayana Widyan due to her training and competitions, but she has no complaints.

“It’s what I wanted to do, having a kid and continue my shooting career. Whatever I’m free, I’ll spend my time with my family, especially my daughter.

“It will be worse this time as I will be spending Hari Raya away from my loved ones (the Commonwealth Games take place from July 23-Aug 3).

“I am thankful my in-laws in Sungai Petani have been taking care of my daughter for the last two months as I was away for the World Cup competitions in Munich and Beijing,” said Suryani, who has never failed to deliver a medal at the Commonwealth Games.

The 32-year-old, who clinched a bronze in 50m rifle three-position in her debut in Melbourne in 2006, is optimistic of maintaining her good record in Glasgow.

“I manage to reach the finals of both the 10m air rifle and 50m rifle three-position in the final leg of the World Cup in Beijing last week.

“I was the only shooter from the Commonwealth to qualify for the top-eight final in both events, so I feel good about my chances heading to Glasgow,” said Suryani, who will be competing in the individual 10m air rifle and 50m rifle three-position.



No comments:

Post a Comment