Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Fatehah Thrilled To Be Chosen As Flag Bearer For Commonwealth Games

KUALA LUMPUR, July 14 (Bernama) -- National track cyclist Fatehah Mustapa is on cloud nine after being chosen as the flag bearer for the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games in Scotland, starting July 23.

"I am both thrilled and honoured to be chosen as the flag bearer and the prospect of carrying the Jalur Gemilang is exciting. I totally did not expect to be chosen as the replacement for Datuk Lee Chong Wei," she told Bernama Monday.

"I am all the more excited because though making my debut in the Commonwealth Games, I have been chosen as the flag bearer."

The National women cyclist was chosen following Chong Wei's decision to withdraw from the Commonwealth Games due to an injury suffered at the Indonesian Open Super Series last month.

"I am the first Malaysian track cyclist to qualify for the Commonwealth Games and I hope to do my best to try and win a medal from my pet event, the Keirin or 500m Time Trial," said Fatehah who is also taking part in the Sprint.

"I am all ready for the competition as I have been preparing for the task. I only hope my health will not be affected when in (Glasgow)."

Fatehah will however, face stiff competition from Great Britain cyclists.

In January, Fatehah who is now ranked fifth in the world for Keirin event, won a silver medal from the Keirin event in the third series of the World Cup in Aguascalientes, Mexico.

She also won a bronze medal in the 500m Time Trial at the Asian Cycling Championships in Kazakhstan, last month.

The cycling squad bound to Glasgow is expected to leave the training centre in Melbourne, Australia on Thursday.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment