Friday, July 18, 2014

Beng Hee racing to be fit for CWG

National No.1 Ong Beng Hee suffered a knee injury early in July. - filepic
National No.1 Ong Beng Hee suffered a knee injury early in July. - filepic

PETALING JAYA: National No. 1 squash player Ong Beng Hee is in a frantic race against time to be fit for next week’s Glasgow Commonwealth Ga­­mes.

The world No. 30 Beng Hee suffered a right knee injury at the CCI PSA Championship in Mumbai, India, earlier this month. He lost to Indian youngster Mahesh Mangaokar in the quarter-finals.

The 34-year-old is undergoing therapy at the National Sports Institute (NSI).

He is still not sure if he will be compete in Glasgow where he is seeded eighth in the singles event. He is also listed to compete in the doubles with Ivan Yuen.
“It was a muscle pull and I think I overused it.

“I have been playing non-stop since the British Open in May.

“I have been undergoing treatment at the NSI since I returned from India.

“It’s getting better. I just need the NSI to give me the green light tomorrow (Friday) to compete in the Games,” added Beng Hee.

If Beng Hee fails to recover in time, world No. 38 Mohd Nafiizwan Adnan will lead Malaysia’s challenge.

The other players are Ivan and Valentino Bon Jovi Bong.


by Kng Zheng Guan - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment