Friday, October 1, 2010

Shooter wants medal in pet event

KUALA LUMPUR: Top pistol shooter Hasli Izwan Amir Hasan will have his hands full in the Commonwealth Games.
The 33-year-old father of two, who will be competing for the fourth time in the Games, will feature in four pistol events – free, standard, centre fire and rapid fire.

In the previous three Games, the Perak-born shooter competed in only one event – the rapid fire. And he won a bronze in the 2006 Melbourne Games.
For the Delhi Games, Hasli, who has donned national colours since 1997, qualified on merit in all four events.
Man on a mission: National shooter Hasli Izwan Amir Hasan wants to better the bronze medal he won in Melbourne four years ago.
 
“Although I will be competing in four events, my focus will be on only one – my pet rapid fire pistol event,” said Hasli, who has a personal best of 582.

Hasli made his debut in the 1998 KL Games and was placed fifth. He finished one rung better in the next Games in Manchester.

Hasli, who featured in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, added that he had trained hard under coach Hashim Desa since qualifying for the Games in April.

“This will be the first time in 13 years of my shooting career that I will be competing in India.
“ And my target in New Delhi is to better the bronze I won four years ago,” said Hasli, who featured in the world championships in Munich last month.

“I believe the strongest challenges will come from the Indian shooters. Those from Australia and Canada are also strong contenders for medals.”

Hasli does not intend to make the outing in New Delhi his last in the Commonwealth Games.
“I am still the number one pistol shooter in the country and I believe that my services are still needed ... I hope to stay around until the 2014 Commonwealth Games,” said Hasli, a silver medallist in the 2007 Asian championships.

By AFTAR SINGH


No comments:

Post a Comment