Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Nicol defends title to deliver Malaysia's second gold medal


GLASGOW: Nicol David delivered Malaysia’s second gold medal in the Commonwealth Games by defeating nemesis Laura Massaro of England 12-10, 11-2, 11-5 in the women’s squash final at the Scotstoun Campus Sports.

Nicol, who will turn 31 on Aug 26, has beaten Massaro a record 24 times in 29 meetings.

It was also the second gold medal for Nicol in five Commonwealth Games and she becomes the first squash player to successfully defend a gold medal in the Games.

Nicol, who made her debut in the 1998 KL Games, has won four medals.

She also bagged a silver and a bronze in the mixed doubles in the 2002 Manchester and 2010 New Delhi Games.

It was not easy feat for the Penangite who was down 3-8 in the first set and had to dig deep to save a game ball from 9-10 down before winning that set.

“The turning point for me in the match was the first set as I was trailing 9-10 against Laura. But I kept my cool and stayed focus to collect the three crucial points,” said Nicol.

“It was not an easy match at all as Laura gave her best in the first set. But I did not expect myself to win the second 11-2...I was helped by Laura making some errors.

“She tried her best in the third but I made sure that I controlled it in the end. It’s definitely a great win for me,” added Nicol who will now focus on women’s doubles with national No.2 Low Wee Wern.

Nicol’s win is a massive boost for the Malaysian camp who only have one gold medal to show prior, courtesy of weightlifter Mohd Hafifi Mansor in the 69kg category last Saturday.

Meanwhile in the bronze medal playoff, Joelle King of New Zealand defeated England’s Alison Waters 11-7, 11-7, 11-5.




by Aftar Singh - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment