Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Gymnast Farah Ann sets high Glasgow mark

 
Farah Ann Hadi (right) and Commonwealth Games-bound gymnasts Natasha Ilani Raymund Jayadev (middle) and Tan Ing Yueh strike a pose. - filepic
Farah Ann Hadi (right) and Commonwealth Games-bound gymnasts Natasha Ilani Raymund Jayadev (middle) and Tan Ing Yueh strike a pose. - filepic

In her first appearance at the 2010 Games in New Delhi, Farah, who was then 16, scored 12.050 points (floor exercise), 10.500 (beam) and 10.250 (uneven bars) as Malaysia finished fourth in the team event.

“I just want to go out there and do my very best this time,” said Farah.

“This is my second Commonwealth Games and I want to go a notch higher. I’ve set myself a target of scoring 13 points and above in all my events,” added the 20-year-old.

The Selangor-born gymnast will compete in four events – vault, uneven bars, balance beam and floor exercise – in Glasgow.

“It will be different this time around. I’m not going to be wide-eyed as I was in New Delhi. I know what to expect in Glasgow,” said Farah who took a seven-month rehabilitation after the Sukma last July to recover from her injuries.

On her return to competition, Farah bagged two bronze medals in the team and floor exercise (13.150) at the Artistic Celtic Cup-Commonwealth Invitational in Perth, Scotland, in April.

She also won two golds and two silvers at the Singapore Open in May. Farah finished first in both the vault (13.225) and floor exercise (13.100) and second in the balance beam (13.200) and individual all-around (49.650).

“I’m working hard in training to get better in my executions. One thing’s for sure – the competition will be tough in Glasgow. Unlike previous Games, all the countries are sending their A teams,” said Farah, the 2011 SEA Games silver medallist in the uneven bars.

“In previous years, most of the teams sent their B sides as the Games were close to the World Championships. But with the World Championships being held in October this year, Australia, England and Canada are all sending their top gymnasts.”

Besides Farah, the other Malaysian representatives are Tracie Ang, Tan Ing Yueh and Britain-based Natasha Ilani Raymund Jayadev.


by Ashreena Pillai - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment