Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Constantine carries a heavy load to Glasgow

Constantine Clement is tipped by his coach for the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow starting next week
Constantine Clement is tipped by his coach for the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow starting next week

PETALING JAYA: National back-up weightlifter Constantine Clement is having the jitters ahead of his debut at next week’s Glasgow Commonwealth Games.

The Malaysian Weightlifting Federation (MWF) have listed Constantine as the nation’s best bet for the gold in the men’s below 62kg class following several impressive performances this year.

The Sabahan finished third at the Asian Junior Championships in Thailand in March. He lifted 120kg in the snatch and 150kg in the clean and jerk to qualify for the Games.

The 20-year-old then broke Naharuddin Mahayuddin’s national snatch record of 126kg by lifting 127kg en route to the gold at the Perlis Sukma last month.

“I’m in good form and injury free, but I’m feeling nervous competing in my first Commonwealth Games,” said Constantine who picked up the sport in 2010.

“I think it’s normal for athletes to feel nervous before a big outing. I believe I will be all right once the competition starts. I will just focus on my lifting and fulfil my childhood dream of winning a medal,” he added.

Constantine is eager to follow in the footsteps of fellow Sabahan Arrico Jumith, who won the men’s below 62kg gold at the 2010 New Delhi Games.

“Arrico is my hero. He is like a big brother to me, always encouraging me in training. I really hope I can emulate his achievement in Glasgow,” said Constantine.


by K. Rajan - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment